Google says -
"If you have a website but don't have a blog, consider creating one: A blog is a great way to connect with people who share your interests, or to publicize your site or product. Blogs are easy to create and update, and rich, useful, and original blog content will encourage readers to come back to your site".It clearly means the blog will help in Google to gain more popularity for a site or a product but it should be with unique content although half of the things are just copy and paste used by most of the bloggers in the blogs in order to get more clicks for their Ads by Google application by Google.
I have read the tips for bloggers by Google and I must say, really useful. Points given by Google like -
- A frequently updated site encourages people to return - as long as your content remains relevant and engaging. So write well and often.
- Follow the webmaster guidelines. Well it's always necessary in Google.
- Categorize your posts - Use of Labels in blogspot and tags in wordpress.
- Make sure users (and crawlers) can easily find your blog.
- If necessary, limit comment spam.
- Google recommends that all webmasters create websites with original content that adds value for users. This is particularly important for sites that participate in affiliate programs. If you do participate in an affiliate program, there are a number of steps you can take to help your site stand out and differentiate it from the crowd.
- Create descriptive titles for each of your posts.
- Connect with your online community.
- Strong Recommendation of publishing a feed of your content.
- Use Webmaster Tools - Add your blog to GWT and verify it. Also Submit a Sitemap.